Friday 12 July 2013

Glamazona Splatter Nails

I showed you the Catrice Glamazona Limited Edition polishes in my post yesterday, today I have some nail art. I used the four basic colours in the Glamazona LE for this. Sophie from My Awesome Beauty is holding a Splatter Manicure Competition. You can still enter, for details go here. The prize is a set of polishes from Linda Johansen, a Norwegian brand. I have been thinking of which polishes to use for the competition for a while. I finally decided it had to be the Glamazona LE polishes. Then came the long wait until it was finally placed in the stores.

The items I used are:

  • straws
  • paper towels
  • nail polish
  • cotton buds
  • acetone (or nail polish remover)
  • vaseline (or scotch tape)
  • nail art brush

First thing you do is paint your nails in a base colour of your choice. Many go for a white base, but I went for Lime Heart Is Beating Like A Jungle Drum, the yellow in the Glamazona LE.


I let it dry, added top coat and started to prepare. The paper towels are for covering your surface area, you don't want to mess up your table or desk! The tutorial video linked in Sophie's post uses vaseline around your nails for easier clean up later on. Since I never used this method before, I decided to try it. Make sure your nail polish bottles are open before you apply the vaseline, otherwise it is harder to open the bottles with all that grease on your fingers. Place your fingers on the paper towel, dip your straw into the bottle, hold the straw over your fingers and blow in the other end. The nail polish splatters out onto your nails and paper towels. It is a messy thing, but fun! Sometimes you get big blobs, sometimes only tiny splatters on your nails. It takes a bit of practice to get the hang of it. You have to dip the straw into the polish bottle for each blow. I did all nails with red first, then the purple and I ended with the teal. My hands ended up looking like this:


Yes, a huge mess. I think I did not apply enough vaseline, to get it all off easily with just a wipe of a paper towel. Get some cotton buds and acetone (or nail polish remover) to clean the splatters on your skin. It removed easier than without the use of vaseline, because the polish did not really attach to my skin. I do think I prefer using scotch tape instead, they come off quicker and I do not like to have such greasy fingers myself *winks*. I used my nail art brush and acetone to clean around my cuticles. When it was completely dry I added a coat of Glisten & Glow H K Girl top coat.


I also did my right hand, but had trouble taking a picture with my Nikon D60. I need a camera stand.


And some details:




Overall I'm pretty pleased with it. It is my first try at a splatter manicure after all! These colours are quite bold, but you could always do other colour combinations. Not one nail will be the same because of the way it is made, which is part of the charm obviously.

No comments:

Post a Comment